Austin Girls’ Choir provides a fantastic opportunity for musically talented girls aged 8 to 18 to perform a wide range of music in Austin and beyond.
- AGC has been featured in local newscasts and on CNN, C-SPAN and BBC Radio.
- The group regularly performs for state ceremonies and events at the Texas State Capitol.
- Past local collaborative performances range from artists Bob Schneider and Joe McDermott to Austin Symphony Orchestra, Austin Lyric Opera, Ballet Austin (Nutcracker productions), Balcones Community Orchestra, and the American Boychoir.
- In addition regular engagements for parades, festivals and private parties, Austin Girls’ Choir has its own annual events. These include a Madrigal Dinner (musical dinner theater), Spring Tea, An Enchanted Evening (choreographed jazz, swing and popular songs), and a Christmas holiday concert.
Top singers tour annually in June, with international tours generally occurring every third year. The tours are structured to give the girls an opportunity to widen their repertoire both musically and culturally. Past performances and tours include:
- Galveston’s Dickens on The Strand Festival annually since 1993.
- Our New York debut, performing at the Cathedral of St. John the Divine and at Carnegie Hall (March 1996).
- The American Southwest (1996, 1999, 2009, 2016); Gulf Coast, including Texas to Disney World (2002) and Texas tours (2003, 2010, 2012, 2015); East Coast (1997, 2001, 2008, 2011); and West Coast (Bay Area 2004).
- A nine-concert tour of English cathedrals in June 1998.
- Nine concerts in Germany and Prague in 2000.
- An eight-concert tour of English and French cathedrals in 2005
- Chicago area concert tour in June 2006
- 12 Italian cathedrals and churches from Rome to Venice in June 2007
- Highlights from our June 2008 tour include:
- Singing for President Bush at the White House
- Singing Evensong at the Washington National Cathedral
- Performing at Bruton Parish in colonial Williamsburg, the Naval Academy Chapel in Annapolis, and the Cathedral of St. John the Divine in New York City
- A 9-concert tour from Niagara Falls to New York City in June 2011
Selected AGC choristers may attend Royal School of Church Music summer choir camps in other states.
Austin girls’ Choir consists of a three-level Junior Choir for girls aged 8 to 14, and a Senior Ensemble for advanced singers aged 13 to 18. Our choristers come from all over Austin and surrounding communities. They share a strong love for music and music-making, and enjoy the opportunity to learn challenging music. Two one-week summer day camps are also available to choristers and non-choristers. AGC choristers develop and enhance their musical skills through regular classes in music theory, ear training and sight-singing, and learn to function as part of a supportive team. They enjoy the challenge of singing in three- and four-part harmony, sing in several languages, and grow in self-esteem while sharing the beauty of their accomplishments with appreciative audiences.